By: Alyssa Saunders
For those of us who have data limits or frequently hang out in areas void of data, the latest news from the media giant is very exciting. Netflix finally confirmed the rumors… you can now download episodes and movies for offline use!
The process is very simple, but make sure you devote some time to download before you head out, it’s not instantaneous. Also, you can only download on your phone for now.
- Make sure your app is updated. Check your App/Google Play store and get the current version, which came out today.
- Choose your episode! I picked out one of my favorite episodes of Supernatural, the season 9 finale “Do You Believe in Miracles?”, because I like to cry my eyes out on the go.
- See that little arrow over a line to the right? Click that and the downloading begins. It took about five minutes for a 40 minute episode.
- I wanted to see how long a movie would take, so I downloaded Love Actually to get into the Christmas spirit. It took a while so I went to Twitter for a second. Don’t worry, the movie was still downloading. It took about 30 minutes.
- Click on the menu at the top right, the one where you can jump to different genres. At the top, it should say “My Downloads”. Click on that to start watching your downloads offline!
While it seems like most TV shows are getting the download treatment, the vast majority of movies are still unavailable for offline use, so be prepared to wait to download Mean Girls and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, among others. But Netflix promises more titles will become available in the future, so let’s enjoy watching Stranger Things on camping trips and flights to see relatives you hate!